Forum Index > Talk to Admins > Nuklear LORD's official TODO list

Questions? Ideas? Any discussion that you'd like to have with the admins should go in this forum. Forum rules and announcements can also be found here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Nuklear LORD's official TODO list

Postby Nuke Skyjumper on Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 am

This post will be the official place to list anything and everything that should be done to improve the site. That includes bug fixes and features.

I'll go through the older posts to find more, but for now let's start with:

- All the links to individual games just show the current stats, instead of the stats from that game
- Large images posted to forum get cut off
- Fix member list to show every page of data and create an option to show all active LORD players / add "search by lord name"
- Tweak forum color scheme. Nuke, you are no artist. Trial-and-error this thing until it's good.
- Add a better mouse-over on the Who's Online box for displaying the player's IP
- Midnight Master appears to be gone from special realm
- make mailto: link test non-white so that it can appear in the white private message background.
- password recovery is broken
- Set up an XML feed of each realm's player stats, for people who want to run statistics on this stuff without killing our server by loading the ACTUAL stats page over and over again.
- graphics in special realm are weird?
- Mod to allow specific forums to not add to post count (should affect posts moved to/from those forums, and account for deleting posts too. Resynching post counts should also examine posts in there and not have them count)
- Add age verification / terms of service for new forum users
- Donations to LORD should be emailed to Nuke and TMO instead of ending up in a black hole
- Admin system should generate in-game mail
- make nuklear mobile friendly - Tapatalk is a plugin to forums (phpBB3, that's what we run here isn't it?) that allows it to be easily viewed on iPhone/iPod touch. i know we are probably rare in number, but more and more people are using them (0/5% of all nuklear traffic! :P ) and i *believe* it's an easy install. it may work with other mobile platforms, but i can't be sure.
- fix forum search - you can use google custom search and copy the code into the forum, apparently, and have full search capabilities. it's the same as using 'site:nuklear.org' in a google search, but integrates into the forum.

TMO, feel free to edit this post. Commoners, go ahead and post a reply - and don't really worry too much about what you're posting, even the smallest ideas could be useful.
Nuke Skyjumper
-=[ Ye Olde Sysop ]=-

Re: Nuklear LORD's official TODO list

Postby Ugly Duckling on Thu May 08, 2008 2:19 am

Nuke Skyjumper wrote:This post will be the official place to list anything and everything that should be done to improve the site. That includes bug fixes and features.

I'll go through the older posts to find more, but for now let's start with:

- Fix member list to show every page of data and create an option to show all active LORD players
- Fix Who's Online to show the correct player name for the realm that the person is logged into
- Tweak forum color scheme. Nuke, you are no artist. Trial-and-error this thing until it's good.

TMO, feel free to edit this post. Commoners, go ahead and post a reply - and don't really worry too much about what you're posting, even the smallest ideas could be useful.

There used to be a "who is online" button...which also provided you with the IP addresses of the players online. I was surprised that this feature is no longer available...
"If organized religion is the opiate of the masses then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." ---Kerry Thornley

Ugly Duckling
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby Nuke Skyjumper on Thu May 08, 2008 2:24 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:There used to be a "who is online" button...which also provided you with the IP addresses of the players online. I was surprised that this feature is no longer available...

You can still get the IP, if you hold the mouse cursor over the player name in the Who's Online box. Granted this isn't very obvious and you're not the first one to ask about it. Going on the TODO list.
Nuke Skyjumper
-=[ Ye Olde Sysop ]=-

Postby Ugly Duckling on Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 am

Nuke Skyjumper wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:There used to be a "who is online" button...which also provided you with the IP addresses of the players online. I was surprised that this feature is no longer available...

You can still get the IP, if you hold the mouse cursor over the player name in the Who's Online box. Granted this isn't very obvious and you're not the first one to ask about it. Going on the TODO list.

ah ha... nice new format. I like... I also like that when you click on the name of a player it colors their rank number red.
"If organized religion is the opiate of the masses then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe." ---Kerry Thornley

Ugly Duckling
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby injektilo on Thu May 08, 2008 7:18 am

This is gonna sound really petty and I don't expect it to happen, but....

can you get rid of the search engines from the on-line user list? It irks me...... :oops:
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Postby Sir FB on Thu May 08, 2008 7:19 am

This is a very minor annoyance, but is somewhat of an issue.

In chat, there are only about six or seven of those colors which are really very readable. It seems the bright colors are the sought after ones, and if more than five or six people get on, someone is chased into one of the dark, hard to read colors.

Might not even be fixable, but I thought I'd mention it.
--------------------
The cheese stands alone.

Sir FB
Sir FB
Who?
Who?

Postby (DK) Orion on Thu May 08, 2008 7:28 am

How about a Nuklear LORD jingle that plays everytime you load the web page? :mrgreen:

Something like the Bonanza Theme... Da da dun, da da dun, da da dun dun dun.... or MetaLLica's Four Horsemen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWB_ByQD4w

Also, maybe the sound of an old man groaning everytime a player changes their alias to Manex?
Last edited by (DK) Orion on Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(DK) Orion
Eternal Sovereign Lord of Righteous Judgment
Eternal Sovereign Lord of Righteous Judgment

Postby the mystical one on Thu May 08, 2008 11:36 am

injektilo wrote:This is gonna sound really petty and I don't expect it to happen, but....

can you get rid of the search engines from the on-line user list? It irks me...... :oops:

Might I ask what online user list you are referring to, and what search engines?

Sir FB wrote:In chat, there are only about six or seven of those colors which are really very readable. It seems the bright colors are the sought after ones, and if more than five or six people get on, someone is chased into one of the dark, hard to read colors.

I'm in full favor of adding colors if possible, but... people can indeed use the same color. ;) Why, back in the day all we had in chats was one color. And we had to use it uphill.. both ways!

Wait.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Dazhbog on Thu May 08, 2008 11:51 am

The Mystical One wrote:
injektilo wrote:This is gonna sound really petty and I don't expect it to happen, but....

Might I ask what online user list you are referring to, and what search engines?

I think he means that search bots are counted among the online users displayed at the bottom of the index page and on the who's online page. You see Yahoo[bot] (or something to that effect), etc. I agree that it's sort of weird that they show up, although not a big deal.
“If I am occasionally a little overdressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.” -Oscar Wilde
Dazhbog
Wandering Hoosier
Wandering Hoosier

Postby Logos on Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Does phpBB have a forum spell check module? At home, I can use the IE/Firefox plugins I have installed, but when I'm at work, most of the time I'm spell-check-less, as I'm stuck on a Citrix Server Client based session. The guys at IT probably wouldn't understand my need to have correct spelling in my forum posts. :shock:

On the plus side, the Java client for playing the game seems to work better under Citrix with the new code (opening a new window that looks very Telnet-like), rather than the fixed window on the old design. It still chokes on the ASCII graphics, but I've seen the screens enough to know what they are. :)!
Logos
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

Postby the mystical one on Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Ahh. The search bots. That makes sense. Yeah, those seem a little silly to me too, but I tend to just ignore them.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Ugly Duckling on Thu May 08, 2008 3:32 pm

The Mystical One wrote:Ahh. The search bots. That makes sense. Yeah, those seem a little silly to me too, but I tend to just ignore them.

when is someone going to mimick them?

Ugly Duckling
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby injektilo on Thu May 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:
The Mystical One wrote:Ahh. The search bots. That makes sense. Yeah, those seem a little silly to me too, but I tend to just ignore them.

http://www.avivadirectory.com/bethebot/
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Postby Ugly Duckling on Thu May 08, 2008 6:43 pm

injektilo wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:

http://www.avivadirectory.com/bethebot/

actually I was talking about in the game...mimicking the bots (online in gameplay)... :)

Ugly Duckling
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby Eliim on Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 am

Something that would be nice is if in the case where you're browsing the forums without logging in and then suddenly you want to post and you click post, and then you log in, you can start writing your post right away instead of ending up back at the board index. Likewise, if you login from the forum games page, it would be nice to stay there after logging in.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Try not to become a man of success but a man of value. - Albert Einstein
Eliim
Double Dragon Slayer
Double Dragon Slayer

Postby the mystical one on Tue May 13, 2008 1:03 pm

Heh. One I'd like to see is this:

- Add a [spoiler][/spoiler] tag pair (puts up a code box with a button that allows you to unhide/rehide contents). Should be several phpBB mods out there already to do this.

Likewise a [s][/s] pair for strikethrough would be nifty.
baldninja.com
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Ugly Duckling on Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm

The Mystical One wrote:Heh. One I'd like to see is this:

- Add a [spoiler][/spoiler] tag pair (puts up a code box with a button that allows you to unhide/rehide contents). Should be several phpBB mods out there already to do this.

Likewise a [s][/s] pair for strikethrough would be nifty.

Strikethrough is a nice feature; Gibreel would use that alot! (I was always so jealous because I never knew how to do it)

Ugly Duckling
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby Manex on Tue May 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Um, phpBB3 has the ability to make whatever bbcode you want. It takes like two seconds.
Sweet Looking Little Boy
Sweet Looking Little Boy

Postby the mystical one on Tue May 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Bah. I didn't know that. I was just making sure you were paying attention.

Edit: That didn't actually work though. Fuck you, phpBB~! Nevermind. Had to repost it.
baldninja.com
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby injektilo on Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 pm

OK, petty thought number 2:

All the fonts on the forum page are sans serif, except the words "welcome, injektilo" and the sub-forum titles "Realms, Game Play, General, Nuklear Lord Development", which are serif fonts.

Should be easy to change these to an Arial type font keep the slick look going?

PS. I hate serif fonts......
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Next

Return to Talk to Admins